Welcome to my Full Sail University Blog!

I hear, and I forget.
I see, and I remember.
I do, and I understand.
-Chinese Proverb

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

BP3_youtube or Ted?

The web 2.0 I'm choosing to research this month is Youtube or TED.  I recently signed up for a Youtube account to share some of my students movie projects.  I think it's an amazing web 2.0 tool and I want to continue using it for educational proposes. I also love listening to TED, I have been using it since March 2010 for my classes and now for EMDT. I have recently signed up to TED and have found it to be very useful for my students because they can listen and read a TED speech as many times as they want.  Furthermore, it's easy for me to create activities from each speech using the four language skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I also thought it would be a great idea to have them translate some of the TED speeches since it allows volunteers to translate a script in any language.  Overall, both are a great educational tool, but I'm still deciding.



http://www.ted.com/


5 comments:

  1. I have decided I'm going with TED, it really is an amazing Web 2.0 tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nereyda,

    I have not used TED very much but I love YOUTUBE. Another blog mentioned TeacherTube? I am so glad you like teaching overseas, that has always been a dream of mine. I am learning Spanish with an app on my iphone called 24/7 Spanish Tutor. It has voice, quizzes, and lists of all sorts of things. Buenos Noches, mi amiga!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment and useful information. I'm glad you're learning Spanish! ¡Sigue hechándole ganas al Español!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nereyda,

    I would love to know more about the materials you use to teach English. Do you use phonics, sight words, pictures, audio, video, music ? As I have learned Spanish, I noticed the alphabet and vowel system is very different as well as the syntax of sentences. When I speak to my Spanish friends, I sound like a two year old because I do not have the fluency down yet. But they are very kind and help me with the wording. When I write, I usually use a translation program on Google. The Droid phone has an app which takes a picture of a foreign language such as a menu or road sign and translates it. Amazing- don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,

    I think that app is amazing and there is so many things out there. A program that I am currently using to learn Portuguese is www.livemocha.com; you can start in your level and get feedback from real native speakers. It includes all the skills needed to learn a language and you can do it at your pace. If you join add me as a friend and I can even provide you with feedback.

    ReplyDelete